Delrin and Acetal Engineering Plastic?
Engineering plastics are not as strong as metal and they are much softer than metal.
• This means the lathe is able to cut the material away very quickly.
• Lathes cut through delrin at least 10 times faster than metal. It is easy to quickly knock up a prototype.
• A somewhat slower speed is required on the Lathe with engineering plastics so as to not melt them.
The ONLY times that Delrin is useful:
• IF the strength & beauty of metal is not needed for a particular part.
• IF making something complicated in metal, practise first in Delrin
• IF not sure what the final design will be, doing prototype in Delrin.